What to Do if Your Ex is Not Paying Child Support

What to Do if Your Ex is Not Paying Child Support

Child support is issued as a means for a custodial parent to provide the necessities for their children. When these payments come late or stop altogether, stressors begin to pile up, and the parent may be unable to care for the child. If you are currently in this situation, it is important to not panic. Instead, consider hiring a family law attorney in New Jersey to help reestablish a steady flow of child support or to reach a new agreement between you and your ex.

What is Child Support?

Child support is financial assistance provided by one parent to the other for the upbringing and care of their child following separation or divorce. It is typically paid by the non-custodial parent to the custodial parent to cover the child's expenses, including food, clothing, housing, education, and medical care.

Different Kinds of Child Support

There are various forms of child support arrangements, including:

  1. Basic Child Support: This is the regular financial support paid by the non-custodial parent to the custodial parent, typically calculated based on state guidelines and the income of both parents.
  2. Additional Expenses: In addition to basic support, parents may be required to contribute to extraordinary expenses such as childcare, healthcare, education, extracurricular activities, and special needs expenses.
  3. Medical Support: This covers the child's healthcare needs, including health insurance premiums, medical bills, and other related expenses.

Is Child Support Optional?

No, child support is not optional. In all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and even territories, child support is mandatory for divorced and separated parents. Generally, the parent who has less custodial time and/or makes more money will be the one paying child support to the custodial parent. The custodial parent does not have to pay child support, as it is anticipated that, while the child is in their care, they will be paying to cover the child’s expenses and basic needs.

What to do if Your Ex is Not Paying Child Support

If your ex-partner is not paying child support as ordered by the court, there are steps you can take to enforce compliance:

Documentation Communication

Keep records of all attempts to communicate with your ex regarding child support payments. This includes emails, text messages, and any other written correspondence. Documenting your efforts to resolve the issue amicably can be valuable evidence if legal action becomes necessary.

Consult with a Family Law Attorney in New Jersey

When informal communication fails, it's essential to seek legal guidance. A family law attorney can assess your case, review the child support order, and advise you on the best course of action. In some cases, resolving child support disputes through negotiation or mediation may be more beneficial than pursuing litigation. A skilled family law attorney can represent your interests during negotiations with your ex-partner or their attorney, seeking to reach a mutually acceptable agreement on child support payments. They can also represent you in court proceedings and ensure that your rights and the child's best interests are protected throughout the process.

Understand the Contempt Process

Filing a motion for contempt is a legal recourse available to enforce child support orders. This involves submitting a formal request to the court, alleging that your ex has violated the terms of the child support order by failing to make payments. If the court finds your ex in contempt, they may face penalties such as fines, wage garnishment, or even imprisonment until they comply with the order.

Contact Local Authorities

State child support enforcement agencies are dedicated to ensuring compliance with child support orders. They have various enforcement tools at their disposal, including income withholding orders, property liens, and intercepting tax refunds. Contacting these agencies can supplement your efforts to collect overdue payments and hold your ex accountable for their obligations.

Consider Modifying the Support Order

If there has been a significant change in your financial circumstances or those of your ex since the child support order was issued, you may be eligible for a modification. This could involve a decrease or increase in the support amount based on factors such as changes in income, employment status, or expenses related to the child's care. Consulting with your attorney about pursuing a modification can ensure that the support arrangement remains fair and equitable given the current circumstances.

Contact a Family Law Attorney in New Jersey Today About Child Support

Child support is a vital aspect of ensuring the well-being of children following divorce or separation. It is not optional and must be paid as ordered by the court. If your ex-partner is not fulfilling their child support obligations, it is essential to find a solution. Seeking legal representation with experienced family law attorneys in New Jersey is the first step. Ziegler Law Group, LLC, understands that this is a stressful situation, and we will do our utmost to ensure that you and your child get the support you deserve. Give us a call today at 973-533-1100 or fill out the contact form to schedule your free consultation.

Related Posts
  • How Does Child Custody and Child Support Work in a High-Income Divorce? Read More
  • Navigating New Jersey's FAFSA Law: Implications for Divorcing Parents Read More
  • Getting Visitation Rights in New Jersey Read More